A dessert that's wrapped in fun!
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. white distilled vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- Candy eyes or mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp. ready-to-spread frosting
Cooking time 105mins
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees with oven rack in center of oven. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. Using the back of a spoon, press powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a small bowl; set aside.
3. Beat egg whites, vinegar and salt with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until thickened and soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on medium-high speed until combined after each addition. After all sugar has been added, beat 2 minutes. Stop mixer and, using a spatula, fold in the reserved powdered sugar mixture.
4. Fill a plastic ziplock bag with 1 snipped corner or a piping bag fitted with a large pastry tip with meringue mixture. Pipe back and forth on a prepared baking sheet to create a 2 1/2x1 inch "mummy". Repeat with remaining meringue mixture, leaving 1 to 2 inches between mummies.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (The meringues will puff and probably crack ad that's fine.) Turn off oven. Leave meringue in oven, with door partially open, 2 hours or up to over midnight.
6. Secure 2 candy eyes or mini chocolate chips on each mummy with dots of frosting.