Red Wine BBQ Chicken
Leftover red wine is used to make a deliciously sweet barbecue sauce for this chicken dish. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggies and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 12 mixed chicken drumsticks and thighs
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a medium saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the ketchup, wine, sugar, chipotle and mustard. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, then simmer over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and put a baking rack on it.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and put on the rack. Roast for 15 minutes, until the skin is lightly browned. Brush the chicken with some of the sauce and roast for 40 minutes longer, turning and basting every 10 minutes, until nicely glazed and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest piece registers 165°F. Transfer to a platter and serve.
The barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for up to a week.
You'll also love
- Kale & Sausage Ragu 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Short Rib Stroganoff 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Teriyaki Chicken and Noodles (One... 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Recipe 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Rosemary Lemon Chicken 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Pie for Two 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Plentil Crusted Chicken on a Stick 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Buffalo Boss Chicken Wings 4/5 (9 Votes)
Review this recipe