- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3cloves3 cloves garlic, minced
- PinchPinch red pepper flakes
- 1cup1 cup dry white wine
- 3sprigs3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 22 bay leaves
- 4pounds4 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (Discard any mussel with an unpleasant odor or with a cracked or broken shell or a shell that won’t close)
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Crusty bread, for serving
Adapted from cooksillustrated.com
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Heat oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in large roasting pan over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves and bring to boil. Cook until wine is slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add mussels and salt. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and transfer to oven. Cook until most mussels have opened (a few may remain closed), 15 to 18 minutes.
2. Remove pan from oven. Push mussels to sides of pan. Add butter to center and whisk until melted. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves, sprinkle parsley over mussels, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.