Mocha Crunch Ice Cream Cake
- MOCHA SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - (3/4 stick)
- 3 cups macaroon cookie crumbs (abt 21 Mother's brand cookies)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 2 pints chocolate ice cream
- 2 pints coffee ice cream
- 3/4 cup chopped Almond Roca or Heath bars (abt 14 Almond Roca or 12 miniature Heath bars
For Mocha Sauce: Cook water, sugar and espresso in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add chocolate and butter. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and sauce is smooth. Cool completely. (Sauce can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring sauce to room temperature before using.)
For Crust: Oil 9-inch springform pan. Mix 2 cups crumbs and butter in medium bowl. Press firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Freeze until firm.
For Filling: Soften chocolate ice cream in refrigerator until spreadable but not melted. Spread in pan and smooth top. Freeze until firm.
Spoon 1/2 cup sauce over ice cream and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cookie crumbs. Freeze until firm.
Soften coffee ice cream in refrigerator until spreadable but not melted. Spread in pan. Smooth surface and freeze until firm. Spread 1/2 cup sauce over coffee ice cream. Sprinkle with Almond Roca and freeze until firm. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover tightly.)
Soften cake slightly in refrigerator if necessary. Rewarm remaining sauce over low heat until lukewarm, stirring frequently. Remove pan sides. Cut cake into wedges. Serve, passing warm mocha sauce separately.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.