TARTE MARAICHERE-CHEESE AND VEG. TART
- 1 Package puff pastry-2 sheets-thawed
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T butter
- 2 slender leeks, white and light green parts only-trimmed, quartered lengthwise & finely sliced
- 2 slender carrots, peeled, trimmed and finely diced
- 1 long sweet red pepper, trimmed and finely diced
- 2/3 cups whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cups grated cheese, such as asiago, parmesan or cheddar
400 degree oven. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
Arrange the two sheets of puff pastry side by side and "dock" with holes.
Spread with dijon mustard-parbake until just beginning to look dry.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, add vegetables-cook stirring for about 10 min. or until veg. are tender-season with s&p. MAY BE DONE AHEAD
Spoon veg. into tart shell and spread them evenly along the base of the crust-the veg. will just about fill the crust. Whisk the cream and eggs together, season with s&p and carefully pour the custard mixture over the vegetables. Depending on how your crust baked, you may have too much custard-don't push it. Pour in as much custard as you can without overflowing the sides. Wait until it settles then pour a bit more if you can. Very carefully slide the baking sheet into oven.
Bake for 20 min., sprinkle the cheese over top & bake another 10-15 min., or until puffed & set[wait for center to puff]. Serve just warm or room temp.