Italian Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), Italian-style, casings removed (8 Points)
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin (3 Points)
- 2 medium yellow pepper(s), cut into 2-inch long thin strips (0 Points)
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), thinly sliced (0 Points)
- 4 fl oz red wine (1/2 cup) (4 Points)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (1 Points)
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted recommended (0 Points)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or less to taste (0 Points)
- 1/4 tsp table salt (0 Points)
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, fusilli (21 Points)
- 1/3 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped (0 Points)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from cmx.weightwatchers.com
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly colored and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is heated through, about 10 minutes.
While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat.
Serving size: 1 1/3 c
The sauce is also good spooned over rice. Toss in some fennel seeds for even greater flavor.
You'll also love
- Bacon Stuffed French Toast 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- BBQ Chicken with Peach Barbecue... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Beef Stew 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken and Broccoli Butternut... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Paleo Sausage Egg Sandwich 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Johnsonville Italian Sausage... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with... 4/5 (3 Votes)