Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Saturated fat: 1.8g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- 8 cups 1-inch sourdough bread cubes (about 12 ounces)
- 6 ounces mild Italian breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped peeled Golden Delicious apple (about 2 medium)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/4 cups no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly. Place in a large bowl.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently to crumble. Add sausage to bread in bowl.
4. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel, and celery to pan; sauté for 7 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in apple and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add sage to pan; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Add onion mixture to bread mixture; toss well to combine.
5. Combine chicken stock, apple cider, eggs, and black pepper in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to bread mixture, stirring gently to combine. Spoon bread mixture into an 11 x 7inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until top of stuffing is browned.