Grilled German Potato Salad
This recipe is adopted from The Chew. You do not have to go to all the trouble of grilling the potatoes, you could just roast them in the oven if you wished, but I think this will be just fine if you just boiled them with water and salt.
- 3 pounds small yellow and red-skinned new potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large red onion, peeled and small diced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grainy German mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chives, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from abc.go.com
Preheat a grill pan to high.
In a large pot add the potatoes and cover with 2-inches of cold water. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle.
When the potatoes are cool, split each in half lengthwise and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes cut-side-down on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until well-browned and crisp on both sides, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove to a large bowl and set aside.
After preparing the potatoes, heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl add the vinegar, grained mustard and mayonnaise, whisking to combine. Slowly add in the mayonnaise mixture and whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
This potato salad tastes great warm or cold, make it ahead and store in the refrigerator!
You'll also love
- Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Ribs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Pineapple Cooler 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Belgium Beef Stew 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Easy Goulash Recipe 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Idaho Sunrise (Baked Eggs and... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Dole Classic Coleslaw Dressing 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Tropical Mango Coleslaw 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Picnic Potato & Chicken Salad Cups 4.4/5 (12 Votes)