Kimchi Fried Rice
So good and so easy. The perfect meal to make when you don't have much on hand but have some leftover rice and kimchi to use up!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, medium dice
- 1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped (6-ounces)
- 2 tablespoons kimchi juice, or to taste
- 1/2 cup Spam, ham or leftover cooked meat, small-dice
- 2 cups cooked, cooled rice (preferably short-grain)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Crumbled or slivered nori (roasted seaweed) for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from thefoodnetwork.com
In a nonstick sauté pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat, and add onions. Cook, stirring, until the onions start to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add kimchi and kimchi juice, and stir until it comes to a boil, about 3 minutes. Add Spam, and cook until sauce is nearly dried out, about 5 minutes.
Break up the rice in the pan with a spatula, and stir it to incorporate. Turn heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the sauce and is very hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and sesame oil. Taste, and adjust with more soy sauce, sesame oil or kimchi juice.
Turn heat down slightly, but let the rice continue to cook, untouched, to lightly brown while you cook the eggs.
Place a small nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, and add the vegetable oil. When it is hot, add eggs, season with salt and fry to your desired doneness. Serve rice topped with fried eggs, nori and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
You'll also love
- Burgundy-Glazed Cipollini Onions 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- GF Quinoa Pizza Crust 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thai - Prawns in Red Curry 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Grain Free Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Butternut Squash Soup Moroccan 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Vegetable Biryani Rice 4.8/5 (6 Votes)