French Onion Soup
Pampered Chef, cal 230, total fat 9g, saturated fat 5g, cholesterol 20mg, carbohydrate 26g, protein 11g, sodium 550mg, fiber 2g
- 4 large onions
- 1/4 c butter or margarine
- 2 t sugar
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 8 c reduced-sodium beef broth
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8-1 " thick French bread slices
- 1 c (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400. For soup, slice onions using Ultimate slice and grate fitted with v-shaped thick slicing blade. Melt butter over med heat in Dutch (6 qt)Oven; add onions and sugar. Cook and stir 15-18 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are tender and golden brown. Stir in flour and salt. Gradually add beef broth; bring to a boil over medium-hi heat, stirring frequently. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
2. For croutons, place bread slices on Classic Round Stone; bake 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Grate cheese using Ultimate Slice and Grate fitted with grating blade. Turn bread slices over; sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking 5-8 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and melted.
3. Ladle soup into bowls; top with croutons.