- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 8 ounces lentils
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes - (28 oz ea)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried basil crumbled
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Sour Cream for serving
Heat heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until beef is brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Heat oil in heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium-high. Add onion and next 5 ingredients. Saute until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add beef, lentils and next 8 ingredients to saucepan. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in Parmesan. Simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thick, about 15 minutes.
Serve, passing sour cream separately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Lemon-Anise Pirquettes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Italian-Style Baked Haddock 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Italian Bread Filled With Mushrooms 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Hearty Beef And Vegetable Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Peppers, Onions And Sausages 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken With Black Bean Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Bean Dip With Chips And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef And Green Pepper Stir-Fry 0/5 (0 Votes)