from The New McCall's Cook Book, page 86
- 1-1/2 cups (8 oz.) dried prunes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (unsifted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp melted shortening or salad oil
1. In medium saucepan, combine prunes with 1-1/2 cups water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease bottom of an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-5/8 inch loaf pan.
3. Sift flour with sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. Drain prunes, reserving liquid. Pit prunes and chop. Add reserved liquid and measure. Add water if need to make 2 cups.
5. In large bowl of electric mixer, combine egg and shortening or oil. Beat well at medium speed. Add prune mixture; beat until well blended.
6. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until smooth. Turn into prepared pan.
7. Bake 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done.
8. Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 min. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack. Wrap in plastic film or foil; refrigerate overnight before slicing.