Baked Acorn Squash with Pear and Apple
Recipe a day calendar
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 lg apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 c dried currants or raisins
- 2 T packed dark brown sugar
- grated zest of one small orange
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 c apple cider or orange juice
- 1 T bourbon or dark rum (optional)
Heat butter in a lg skillet over med heat until melted.
Add the apple mixture and cook until the fruit is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in apple cider (or orange juice) and bourbon (or rum). Simmer, stirring often, until the fruit is tender, abut 8 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven; pour off the water from the pan and turn the squash cut-side up Fill the squash with the apple mixture. Bake until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes more.