Amaretto Butter Cookies with Orange Zest and Almonds
If you're exchanging cookies around the holidays, your friends would love to receive these buttery almond flavored cookies with a hint of orange. These Amaretto Butter Cookies with Orange Zest and Almonds make great food gifts or a delicious additions to any bake sale. These are the perfect treats to feed a crowd and they go great with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur, such as Amaretto, or 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 about 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sliced almonds
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg yolk, liqueur or extract, and orange peel and beat until well blended.
In another bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture; stir to mix, then beat until well blended.
Gather dough into a ball, divide in half, and flatten each portion into a disk; wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until firm enough to roll without sticking, about 30 minutes.
Unwrap dough. On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll one disk at a time to about 1/4-inch thick. With a floured, 2-inch round cutter, cut out cookies. Place about 2-inches apart on buttered 12x15-inch baking sheets.
Gather excess dough into a ball, re-roll, and cut out remaining cookies.
In a small bowl, beat egg white with 1 teaspoon water to blend. Brush cookies with mixture and sprinkle or arrange about 1/2 teaspoon sliced almonds on each.
Bake cookies in a 325ºF regular or convection oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through cooking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (805 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (672 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (448 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (397 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.5/5 (394 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)