Chicken Style Seitan
- FOR THE DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 7 ounces vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- FOR THE WET INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- FOR THE BROTH:
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tamari
Adapted from onegreenplanet.org
1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients so they are evenly distributed.
2. Whisk the wet ingredients together and add them to the dry ingredients.
3. Stir the mixture well until you have a big, sticky ball.
4. Remove the seitan from the bowl to chopping board and knead it for about a minute. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Bring the vegetable stock and tamari to a boil. Once boiling, lower the water to a light simmer.
6. Cut the seitan into three large loaves and carefully add each to the simmering broth. Partially cover the pan and let them simmer for 45-55 minutes, turning the seitan every now and then. Make sure the pot is big enough to accommodate the seitan as it expands.
7. Once cooked, drain the seitan and let it sit for around 10-15 minutes until it has slightly cooled. You can now serve the seitan or refrigerate it for use later.