Hearty Beef And Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat cut 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup finely-chopped onion
- 2 garlic gloves minced
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (14 1/2 oz) drained, chopped, juices reserved
- 4 boiling potatoes - (abt 1 1/4 lbs) cut 1" cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 1/2 cups canned beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages frozen mixed vegetables - (10 oz ea)
- Chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes with juices and all remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables and parsley. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.)
Stir in frozen vegetables. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle soup with parsley and serve.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.