Chicken Penne soup
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots, about 2 medium
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless,skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup penne pasta, cooked according to package directions.
- 1/4 lb. sugar snap peas, halved diagonally
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- grated parmesan cheese for serving--optional
Using a large sauce pan over medium hat, heat the butter. Saute the mushrooms, celery, onion and carrots. cook until the celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes. stirring often. Gradually whisk in chicken stock, stirring frequently. Add half and half and parsley, simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add Penne and peas, simmer 2 minutes, add lemon juice. season with salt and pepper, serve with parmesan, is desired.