from The New McCall's Cook Book, page 89
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Grease bottoms of 14 (2-1/2") muffin pan cups.
2. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne into large bowl. Stir in cheese.
3. Measure milk in a 2-cup measure. Add oil and egg; beat with fork to mix well.
4. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Pour in milk mixture all at once; stir quickly, with fork, just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not beat. Batter will be lumpy.
5. Using 1/4-cup measuring cup (not quite full), quickly dip batter into muffin cups, filling each slightly more than half full.
6. Bake 15-20 minutes or until they test done.
7. Loosen edge of each muffin with spatula; turn out. Serve hot.