Andouille Vegan Sausage
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 bay leaves, finely crumbled
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from soydivision.co.uk
1. Before mixing your ingredients, get your steaming apparatus ready (I just used a vegetable steamer insert in a sauce pan).
2. Bring water to a full boil.
3. The rest of the recipe comes together very quickly.
4. Have ready 4 sheets of tin foil ready to wrap sausages in.
5. In a large bowl, mash chickpeas until no whole ones are left.
6. Throw all the other ingredients together in the order listed and mix with a fork.
7. Knead for about 5 minutes until quite firm.
8. Divide dough into 4 even parts.
9. Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 5 inch log.
10. Wrap dough in tin foil, like a tootsie roll.
11. Don’t worry too much about shaping it, it will snap into shape while it’s steaming.
12. Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 45 minutes.
13. Remove and allow to cool in tinfoil until ready to use.