Sweet and Sour ? Protein
- Pick a Protein
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed and thinly sliced against the grain
- 3/4 pound pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, thinly sliced against the grain
- Whisk 1 egg white, 1 TBS Chinese rice wine or dry sherry and 1 TBS cornstarch. Toss with your protein; cover and refrigerate, 1 hour.
- Vegetables (Any Combination)
- sliced carrots
- sliced celry
- sliced bell peppers
- 1 " scallion pieces
- sliced onions or shallots
- quarted mushroom caps
- sliced bok choy or cabbage
- sliced leeks
- whole snow peas
- sliced asparagus
- quartered plum tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- baby spinach
- blanched broccoli or cauliflower florets
- thawed frozen peas or edamame
- 3/4 c chicken broth, 1 TBS cornstarch, 2 TBS Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 c chicken broth, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1/4 c ketchup, 2 tsp soy sauce, 3 TBS rice vinegar, 1/4 c sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sesame oil.
- 1/2 c chicken broth, 1 TBS cornstarch, 1 TBS soy sauce, 1 TBS hoisin sauce, and 1 TBS Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3/4 c chicken broth, 1 TBS cornstarch, 1 TBS Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, 1 TBS soy saunce, 3 TBS oyster sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 c chicken broth, 1 TBS cornstarch, 2 TBS each soy sauce, rice vinegar and Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 TBS sugar and 2 tsp Asian chili sauce.
Adapted from foodnetworkmagazine.com
1. Drain the excess marinade from the protein. Place your sauce, vegetables and protein near the stove.
2. Heat 1/4' peanut or vegetable oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add the protein; lowly stir until almost opaque, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a plat; discard the oil and wipe out the pan.
3. Heat the pan over high heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 TBS oil, then 2 cloves minced garlic (or 4 cloves if using spicy sauce), 1 to 2 TBS minced ginger, 2 minced scallions and a pinch each of salt and sugar; stir-fry about 30 seconds. Add the vegetables, starting with the ones that take the longest to cook; stir-fry until crisp-tender.
4. Add the protein and sauce and stir until the sauce is thick and the vegetables and protein are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Thin with chicken broth, if needed. Garnish with sliced scallions, peanuts, sesame seeds, sliced jalapenos and/or cilantro.