Deluxe Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter (do not use fresh ground or old-fashioned style)
- 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet (not unsweetened)chocolate chopped (or semisweet chocolate)
- 3/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts separated in halves
Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Stir in chunky peanut butter. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
Place 36 foil mini-muffin cups (measuring 2 inches in diameter at widest point) on 2 cookie sheets. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from over water. Drop 1 teaspoon chocolate into each mini-muffin cup. Rotating each cup, spread chocolate 3/4-inch up insides of cups with small palette knife. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 20 minutes.
Drop 1 rounded teaspoon peanut butter mixture into each cup. Flatten slightly with back of spoon. Remelt chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water. Spoon enough chocolate (about 1 teaspoon) into each cup to cover filling completely. Sprinkle each peanut butter cup with several peanut halves. Dip fork into remaining melted chocolate. Carefully wave from side to side over peanuts to create decorative pattern. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 20 minutes.
Divide peanut butter cups among airtight tins. (Can be prepared up to 4 days ahead and refrigerate.)
This recipe yields 36 candies.