Adapted from Paul Bertolli’s recipe, published in Fine cooking, May 1999. An Old-fashion ricer tool keeps the cooked potatoes very light in texture compared to a masher. If you don’t have a ricer, use a medium mesh metal sieve and push the potatoes through it with a rubber scraper or wooden spoon.
- 2 medium russet potatoes, about 1LB total
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces (about 1-1/3 cups) flour.
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 90mins
1) Pierce potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on high until fork tender, about 6-8 min. Let cool just enough to handle them but they are still warm.
2) Peel the warm potatoes, and push them through a ricer (or a medium-mesh metal sieve) into a bowl. Stir in the egg, cream, salt and nutmeg.
3) Put the flour onto your work surface, and make a well in the center. Add the potato mixture to the well. Use a pastry scraper, or your clean hands to cut the flour into the potato mixture. Keep working until the dough comes together and is soft, supple and a little elastic.
4) Roll the dough into a large log and then cut into 3 equal sections. Working on a floured surface, roll 1 section of the dough out into a long rope about ¾” in diameter. Use a knife to cut the rope into ½” long nuggets. Dip the tines of the fork in flour; roll each nugget against the tines to score the nugget and create a rough oval. Use your thumb to create a dimple in the oval. Drop the oval onto a floured baking sheet. Repeat to roll and shape all the dough. At this point you can refrigerate the gnocchi for several hours. Or, freeze them on a baking sheet until they are solid. Then put them into a plastic freezer bag to freeze up to several weeks.
5) When ready to cook, heat a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Drop the gnocchi into the water and cook until they float. 2-4 minutes.
6) Serve immediately, topped with tomato sauce etc.
Nutrition info per serving: 298 calories, 5g fat, 3g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 55g carbohydrates, 1g sugar, 8g protein, 458mg sodium, 3g fiber.