Curried Peanut Soup
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 medium onion halved, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned broth or more if needed
- 1/3 cup rice
- 3 medium carrots peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned style or freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Finely-chopped green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and curry powder and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add 4 cups stock and bring to boil. Stir in rice and carrots. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Puree half of soup in blender or processor with peanut butter. Return puree to saucepan. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Stir soup until heated through, thinning with more stock if desired; do not boil. Mix in sugar. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 servings.