French Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Kettle-cooked potato chips (for serving)
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium. Cook onion, garlic, and thyme, stirring occasionally, until onion is deep golden brown and very soft, 35–40 minutes. Discard thyme and let cool.
Mix caramelized onions, shallot, sour cream, chives, and lemon juice in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes to let flavors meld. Serve with potato chips for dipping.
Do Ahead: Dip can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.