- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup cranberries
- 3 cups good-quality orange marmalade (abt 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur or orange juice)
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Cook sugar, water and cloves in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to boil. Add cranberries. Simmer until cranberries are soft but still retain shape, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Cool slightly.
Bring marmalade, Grand Marnier, orange peel and brandy to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Boil until mixture registers 220 degrees (jelly stage) on candy thermometer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
Using slotted spoon, transfer cranberries from cooking liquid to marmalade (discard liquid). Mix gently. Spoon into four 1-cup jelly jars. Seal tightly. Cool completely. (Can be prepared 4 weeks ahead. Refrigerate.)
This recipe yields four 8-ounce jars.