Plantain and Apple Fritters
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-4 TBS coconut oil
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Mash the plantains in a bowl with a fork or a wire potato masher (the fritters taste better if you leave some lumps and don't overmash). Add the grated apple and cinnamon and mix to combine.
2. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the plantain batter into the pan and flatten with the back of a spoon. The fritters should be 2-3 inches in diameter, or about the same size as your spatula; otherwise they can be tricky to flip. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cook the fritters in batches.
3. Cook 12-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Add a little extra coconut oil if the fritters absorb it all. If they are browning too fast, turn down the heat.
4. Carefully flip the fritters and cook for 7-8 min on the other side. Add extra coconut oil if needed.
If batch cooking, you can keep the finished fritters warm on a baking dish in a 200 degree oven.