Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes are easy to make and the flavors are superb! This is a perfect vegetarian meal, or a healthy side dish to any meal.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes*
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
- Optional: Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
- GARLIC HERB SAUCE
- 1/4 cup hummus, or tahini
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon dried dill, or 2 to 3 teaspoons fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Optional: Sea salt to taste
- TOPPINGS optional
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with foil.
Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time 45 minutes to 1 hour).
Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
NOTE: If you don’t have hummus, tahini (which you can DIY!) will make a great base substitution for the sauce - just adjust the seasonings to accommodate the lack of flavor tahini provides.
Also prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown - roughly 25 minutes - remove from oven.
For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.
Additional side ideas might include Hummus, Pita Chips, Baba Ganoush, or Persian Eggplant Dip. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Cranberry-Orange Scones 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Cake That Doesn't Last 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Outer Banks Cornbread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Kale and Turkey... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Stuffed Seitan Roast (Vegan) 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Potatoes - Air Fryer 5/5 (1 Votes)
- sweet potato steak fries 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Thai - Prawns in Red Curry 5/5 (1 Votes)