Spanish Asparagus Revuelto
- Olive oil
- 2 peeled garlic cloves, plus 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups bread cubes, made with day-old bread, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ounces diced Spanish chorizo
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut in 1- to 2-inch lengths
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped Italian parsley
Adapted from newyorktimes.com
Put 3 tablespoons olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add peeled garlic cloves and let them sizzle until lightly browned, then remove. Add bread cubes, season with salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and gently fry until lightly browned and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove bread and set aside to cool.
Add chorizo and fry lightly. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until cooked through but firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Add green onions and minced garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Season eggs with salt, pepper and pimentón. Pour into pan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, just until soft and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add parsley and serve immediately, topped with the fried bread cubes.