Apple Snickers Trifle
I will warn you: this stuff is good. It seemed a little odd to me at first to mix apples with Snickers but it totally makes sense: it’s like a caramel apple with some chocolate thrown in. Yum!
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (16-ounce) container Cool Whip
- 6 cups Granny Smith Apples, chopped (about 6 to 7 apples, plus a few for garnish)
- 10 regular-size Snickers, chopped (I froze mine unwrapped in a large plastic Ziploc bag and took the flat side of a meat mallet to them, worked like a charm)
- Caramel sauce
Adapted from dessertedplanet.com
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. On low speed, gradually beat in the powdered sugar and then the vanilla. Fold in the Cool Whip.
Stir in the chopped apples, reserving a few for garnish. Stir in 11/2 cups of the crushed Snickers. Spoon 1/3 of the mixture into a trifle dish. Sprinkle half of the remaining Snickers onto the mixture. You can also drizzle with caramel sauce, which is what I did, but I thought it was a little too sweet and not necessary and wouldn’t do it again. Spoon another 1/3 of the mixture into the trifle dish and the remaining half of the Snickers (save a 1/2 cup or so for garnish).
Spoon the remaining mixture into the trifle dish and garnish with chopped apples, Snickers and caramel sauce. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve (it will probably get a bit runny the next day so I highly recommend making and serving it the same day).