Mexican Tortilla Casserole
Mexican tortilla casserole is a great recipe to make on the weekend, and have leftovers during the week. I changed this recipe to remove the rice, which my family doesn't care for and added Monterrey Jack cheese to the refried beans to make them creamy and inviting.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 pack taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can refried beans (they spread easier if you warm them in microwave)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package Monterrey Jack cheese, grated or cut in chunks to mix into the preheated refried beans (makes them creamy and flavorful)
- 1 can Mexican blend corn, drained, optional
- 4 to 5 large flour tortillas
- 8 ounces thick chunky salsa (your choice mild or hot)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from howtocookguide.com
Place a can of refried beans and 1/2 Monterrey Jack cheese chunks into a medium bowl and stir until cheese has melted and incorporated into the beans. Set aside.
Spray a spring form, round cake pan or casserole with cooking spray
Brown ground beef, and onion and drain. Add taco seasonings and cook according to package direction.
Lay 1 tortilla in bottom of baking dish and spread 1/3 of bean and cheese mixture, top with 1/3 of the meat and sprinkle on some cheese.
2nd layer tortilla, 1/2 salsa, 1/2 the corn and cheese mix.
3rd layer tortilla, 1/3 beans and cheese mixture, 1/3 meat, the yellow cheese mix.
4th layer tortilla, beans with the jack cheese in them, meat, corn, salsa and cheese mix
Bake covered with foil at 350°F for about 40 minutes, uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, let sit 5 minutes before cutting.
After baking top with sour cream, diced onion and shredded lettuce if desired.
You'll also love
- Creamy Rice Pudding with the... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Bacon... 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Sheet-Pan Bacon Egg Sandwiches for... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- No-Knead Country Bread 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Dessert Cookies: Ginger Molasses... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Braised Beef Short Ribs 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef and Pasta Soup 4.6/5 (8 Votes)