Hot Crawfish Dip
Crawfish tails cooked in a spicy cream sauce with green onions, bell pepper, and garlic and served on thin, buttered and toasted French bread rounds.
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) salted butter
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (3/4 - 1 cup)
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. crawfish tails (I used (2) 12 oz. pkgs. frozen, thawed)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced (about 1 1/4 tsp)
- 1 (4 oz) jar chopped pimientos, drained well
- 2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- Small diameter French bread, sliced thin, buttered and lightly toasted (I used French bread twin loaves from Wal-mart Deli)
In a large heavy skillet or pot, melt butter over medium heat; add green onions, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until tender, stirring so they don't brown.
Stir in thawed crawfish, drained pimientos, and creole seasoning and cook about 10 minutes. There will be some liquid left and that's fine.
Reduce heat to low, stir in the cream cheese until smooth and just beginning to bubble.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot on buttered and toasted French bread rounds.