Chili Con Queso
- 1/4 cup butter - (3/4 stick), plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can peeled tomatoes - (28 oz) drained, chopped
- 1 can diced green chilies - (4 oz)
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into pieces
- 12 ounces grated Cheddar - (abt 3 1/2 cups)
- Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Tortilla chips for serving
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 12 minutes. Stir in flour. Continue to cook until flour is just golden, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes.
Mix in tomatoes, chilies and cream cheese and cook until cheese melts, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Add cheddar and stir until melted and mixture bubbles, about 4 minutes. Season with hot pepper sauce. Transfer to chafing dish or fondue pot. Serve with tortilla chips.
This recipe yields 8 servings.