- 1 C. Butter (softened)
- 2 C. Sugar
- 2 C. Applesauce (use a good, rich brand)
- 3 C. Flour
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- 1 t. Nutmeg
- 1 3/4 t. Baking Soda
- 1 C. Pecans (coarsely, chopped)
- 1 C. Golden Raisins
- 1 t. Vanilla
1. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans with oil or butter and dust with flour.
2. Cream Butter and Sugar thoroughly, until light and fluffy, then fold in Applesauce. Don't worry if the ingredients do not mix completely.
3. Sift Flour, Spices, and Baking Soda together. Save back 1/4 C. Flour mixture and dredge Nuts and Raisins in it. Blend in remaining Flour mixture, alternately with Butter/Sugar mixture; add Vanilla. Add Nut/Raisin mixture by folding just until the Flour is mixed. We don't want to break up the Raisins and Nuts. Pour into pan.
4. Bake for 90 minutes in a preheated; 325 degree oven (use the toothpick inserted in the middle, test. If it comes out clean, it is done.) Let cool slightly, loosen the edges of the cake and turn the pans upside down on plates large enough to cover the cake.
5. Cool completely before Icing with Caramel Frosting or any other one you choose.