Cheese Ravioli With Old-Fashioned Meat Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes - (28 oz)
- 1 can tomato puree - (16 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 pound purchased cheese ravioli
- Freshly-grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add ground beef and garlic and saute until meat is no longer pink, breaking up with fork, about 5 minutes.
Puree tomatoes with juices in processor. Add to saucepan. Add canned tomato puree, herbs and dried crushed red pepper. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well. Place pasta in large bowl. Add enough sauce to coat; stir. Serve, passing cheese separately.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled or tripled.