Braised Brussels Sprouts, Pearl Onions And Chestnuts
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 pounds pearl onions blanched 1 minute
- in boiling water, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups turkey broth (or canned chicken broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts trimmed (or 2 lbs frozen Brussels sprouts)
- 16 ounces whole roasted chestnuts in jars
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add broth and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until onions are tender, 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook fresh brussels sprouts in large pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain. (Or cook frozen brussels sprouts according to package directions.) Rinse with cold water. Drain.
Add chestnuts to onions, covered and simmer until chestnuts are tender, about 4 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover onion mixture and brussels sprouts separately and refrigerate. Reheat onion mixture before continuing.)
Add brussels sprouts to onions. Boil until brussels sprouts are heated through and liquid is syrupy, about 4 minutes. Season vegetables with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe yields 12 servings.