Skinny Sloppy Joes with Tangy Slaw
- Sloppy Joes:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound (500g) extra lean ground beef - fresh or frozen
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce - optional
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (250ml) chopped tomatoes - canned or fresh with their juice
- 4 tablespoons (80g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/2 cup (45g) rolled oats
- Tangy Coleslaw:
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 head of cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 2 carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
Adapted from hippressurecooking.com
To the heated pressure cooker add olive oil and slab of frozen ground beef.
Brown the slab on both sides (about 8 minutes per side).
Push beef aside and add onions, peppers, carrots, salt and garlic powder and saute' until the veggies are soft (about 5 minutes).
Add Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, water and mix well. If the frozen slab of meat has softened, break it up into chunks and lift-up any brown bits of meat from the base of the cooker into the mixture.
When the contents of the cooker come to boil toss in the oats and do not stir. Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker.
For electric pressure cookers:
Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
For stove top pressure cookers:
Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker indicates it has reached high pressure, lower to the heat to maintain it and begin counting 10 minutes pressure cooking time.
When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure very slowly. If the pressure release speed cannot be regulated by your cooker's valve, simply release pressure in short bursts. If anything other than steam comes out of the valve, stop and count to 10 before releasing the pressure slowly (or in small bursts), again
Raise the heat and reduce the contents, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes - mix and break-up the ground meat.
Let stand for an additional 5 minutes to thicken before serving.
Combine the mustard, vinegar and honey in the base of a large bowl and whisk together. Mix-in the cabbage, carrots and onions.