Poppy Seed Cheese Bread
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- Poppy seeds
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Combine milk, shortening and salt; stir into yeast mixture. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
2. Punch down dough; press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine cheese, egg, milk and onion; spread over dough. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 15-20 minutes. Cut into squares; serve warm.