Hot Brown Turkey Casserole
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices bread, toasted and divided
- 2 pounds thinly sliced cooked turkey or chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup chopped, seeded tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook until slightly thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, lightly beat egg. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup sauce. Slowly return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until thickened. (Do not allow to boil.)
In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer 6 toast slices and turkey; pour sauce over top. Sprinkle with paprika, bacon and remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake until heated through, 20-25 minutes. Top with tomatoes and parsley. Cut remaining toast slices in half diagonally; serve on the side. Yield: 12 servings.