Spinach & Potato Pancake Corned Beef Sandwich
This recipe takes the traditional Rueben sandwich to the highest of levels! Tender slices of corned beef, Swiss cheese, German style sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing is sandwiched between two crispy spinach potato pancakes. Um... Yum!
- POTATO PANCAKE:
- 1 pound Cattlemen's Ranch Flat Cut Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 cup Holland Lager 1839
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup SimplyNature Organic Baby Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup Baker's Corner All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/4 cup German style sauerkraut
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese block, thinly sliced
Adapted from aldi.us
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place corned beef in a medium saucepan with pickling spice packet, beer and water. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Continue cooking until fork tender, about 1 hour, 30 minutes. Remove corned beef, discard liquid, and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain, reserve.
Place a strainer in a large bowl with water. Peel the potatoes and place in a bowl of water until ready to use. Grate the potatoes and onion and place the mixture in the prepared strainer. Rinse the potato/onion mixture until the water runs clear. Place the mixture on a towel-lined baking sheet to dry.
In a large bowl, combine potato/onion mixture, lemon juice, spinach, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Scoop out 2 tablespoons of mixture. Cook for 1 minute, flatten into pancakes with a spatula. Continue cooking for a total of 2 to3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer cooked potato pancakes to a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet to allow excess oil to drain.
Place cooked potato pancakes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes to heat through.
To assemble sandwiches: Place 1 tablespoon of Thousand Island dressing on potato pancake, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sauerkraut, 2 slices of corned beef, 1 slice Swiss cheese and top with potato pancake. Place sandwiches on baking sheet, return to oven and cook for 5 minutes.
Tip: To shorten preparation time, use leftover corned beef.
You'll also love
- Banana Blueberry Muffins 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Artichoke Dip 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- GF Chocolate Lava Cakes 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Turkey Sloppy Joes 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Spicy Pork Shoulder 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Italian Pork Chop Sheet-Pan Dinner 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Street Corn Salad 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Braised Beef Ragu with Gemelli 4.5/5 (6 Votes)