Mashed Potato Cakes with Onions and Kale
- 12 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed (about 4 ounces)
- 2 2/3 cups (1-inch) cubed Yukon gold or red potato (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 3 cups diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Sage sprigs (optional)
Bring water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add kale. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Remove kale with a slotted spoon, reserving cooking liquid. Chop kale and set aside.
Add potato to reserved cooking liquid in pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash potatoes. Stir in kale and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and chopped sage. Cook 13 minutes or until browned. Combine potato mixture, onion mixture, green onions, and pepper. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Divide potato mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Gratinee of Cauliflower 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Maryland Crab Cakes 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Key Lime Pie Martini 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Amish Onion Cakes 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes - Freezable 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Spinach & Gruyère Quiche 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheesey Spinach Quiche 4.5/5 (8 Votes)