White Mac & Cheese
It's super easy to make this perfect White Mac & Cheese recipe. Other cheeses can easily be substituted to suit your taste. Anytime I serve this delicious dish it's huge hit!
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 shallot, chopped fine (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 8 ounces Gruyere, grated (some extra for sprinkling on top)
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated (some extra for sprinkling on top)
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds macaroni, or other pasta, cooked
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from ashleemarie.com
Melt the butter and saute the shallot. Whisk in the flour and corn starch to a thick paste. This is your Roux, cook on medium low until the color develops, the lighter the color the less flavor but more thickening, the darker the color the more flavor less thickening. I went for a light brown color.
Add the milk and cream and cook until the sauce comes to a simmer (it's okay if it boils but try to catch it before that). Take off the heat and keep stirring, it will thicken as it cools, about 4 minutes. This is your Bechamel sauce.
Stir in your spices, white pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder (not your salt yet). Test the temperature with your finger, if it's still burning let cool longer, if it's uncomfortably warm it's perfect. Add your cheeses in stages, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and slowly add the cheese, stirring well - this is now a Mornay sauce
Taste the sauce and add salt if it's needed. Pour over the cooked and drained pasta and stir.
Now you can either cover with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake or serve immediately while it's creamy, warm and delicious!
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (674 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Tuscan Garlic Chicken 4.5/5 (438 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff 4.5/5 (280 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Creamy Garlic Pasta 4.5/5 (259 Votes)