Apple Pie Doughnuts
- FOR THE DOUGHNUT:
- 1 pkg Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
- canola oil
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- FOR THE APPLE PIE FILLING:
- 1 1/2 cup sliced apples (I used Crunchpak)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup water
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, salted
Adapted from shugarysweets.com
1. In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil about 1/2-3/4 inch high. Depending on your size skillet will determine how much oil is necessary. Bring oil to a sizzle when you drop a couple drops of water into it.
2. Separate biscuits and using a one inch circle cutter (I used a cannoli tube) pop center hole out of each biscuit so it resembles a donut. Fry each biscuit for 2-3 minutes each side. Allow to cool and dry on paper towels.
3. While donuts are cooling, prepare apple pie filling (or use jarred/canned to save time). In a small saucepan, bring sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and water to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Add apple slices (or diced) and reduce heat to simmer.
4. Cover and simmer for about 6-8 minutes, until apples are fork tender. Remove from heat and cool.
5. For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and milk and beat an additional 3-5 minutes.
6. To assemble, frost cooled doughnut with cream cheese frosting. Top with cooled apple pie filling, peanuts and caramel sauce (divide evenly among the 8 doughnuts). ENJOY.