Stuffed Seitan Roast (Vegan)
Make your own vegan Stuffed Seitan Roast at home, instead of buying prepared in the store. You can switch up the flavors and seasonings to your liking.
- FOR THE SEITAN DOUGH:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- FOR THE STUFFING:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu
- 3/4 cup ground mixed nuts such as walnuts and almonds, with a few chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from onegreenplanet.org
Preheat oven to 400°F
Mix together the vital wheat gluten flour, nutritional yeast, pepper, and paprika in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the vegetable stock, mustard and soy sauce the add to the dry ingredients. Mix together with your hands to form the seitan dough and knead for 4 minutes.
Roll out dough to a 10×8-inch rectangle on top of a sheet of greaseproof paper. Lightly grease the top and place either a flat baking sheet or chopping board on top and place saucepan on top to weigh it down. Leave the dough to flatten while you prepare the stuffing.
Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan and add the diced onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
Mash up the tofu in a mixing bowl then stir in the remaining stuffing ingredients, including the cooked vegetables. Mix until well combined.
Take the chopping board/baking tray off the top of the seitan dough and place the stuffing mix along the center, long ways. Pull up the sides of the dough and fold over the stuffing until all the stiffing is enclosed inside the dough.
Whisk up the glaze ingredients. Make a few slices across the top then brush half of the glaze across the top.
Cover loosely with the greaseproof paper, place on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes. Remove, brush on remaining glaze, and return to oven for another 30 minutes until golden.
Remove from the oven and let the seitan roast sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
You'll also love
- Butternut Squash Soup Moroccan 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Christmas Cranberry Salad 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Captain Morgan Rum & Pumpkin... 3/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken Philly Sliders 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies,... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- K's Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Ruby Tuesday Apple Salad 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup 4.8/5 (6 Votes)