Venetian Liver And Onions
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 white onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme crumbled
- 1 teaspoon rubbed or ground dried sage
- 1 garlic clove flattened
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces calf's liver, 1/4" to 1/2"-thk cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian parsley
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon sage and saute until onion is tender and brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add garlic and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Discard garlic.
Combine flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sage in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pat liver dry. Add liver to flour mixture and toss to coat.
Add butter to garlic oil and melt over medium-high heat. Add liver and stir until beginning to brown on outside but still pink inside, about 3 minutes. Add onions and saute until liver is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
This recipe yields 2 servings.