Creamy Garlic Shrimp with Sundried Tomatoes and Basil
This shrimp dish boasts big and bold flavors with a creamy delicious sauce filled with sun dried tomatoes and spinach. Serve over veggies, pasta, rice or couscous. Quick enough to make for a busy weeknight dinner but sure to impress your guests when hosting a weekend dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 pound shrimp or prawns, peeled, tails on or off
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional
- 5 ounces jarred sun-dried tomato strips in oil, drained
- 1 3/4 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped, or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoons of milk, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Using a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat and add in the garlic and sauté for about a minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add your shrimp and sauté on both sides until just cooked through and pink, around two minutes per side. Make sure to not over cook the shrimp or it will become rubbery. Scoop the shrimp out with a slotted spoon into a bowl and set aside.
Add the diced onions to the large skillet and fry until translucent. Add the white wine and allow to reduce a little. Now add your sun-dried tomatoes and saute another couple of minutes or so to release their flavors. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the parmesan cheese and give it a little stir.
To make the sauce thicker, add the milk and cornstarch mixture to the center of sauce and quickly stir through until desired thickness is reached.
Add the bowl of shrimp back into the pan and mix thoroughly. Stir in the basil and other herbs.
Serve over veggies, pasta, rice or couscous.