- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- 1 can chickpeas - (15 1/2 oz) drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground or rubbed dried sage
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Additional chopped fresh parsley
Cook sausage in medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat until brown, breaking up with fork, about 7 minutes.
Add onion, carrots, mushrooms, 1/3 cup parsley and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
Mix in next 6 ingredients. Simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.