Shrimp 'N Grits with Bacon Bits and Eggs
Very similar to Grits a Ya-Ya
- 1 pound meaty bacon, divided
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 cup hominy or white grits
- A drizzle olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, tails left on and deveined
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beer (I use Abita)
- 4 fried eggs
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from rachaelrayshow.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Chop 2 slices of bacon and reserve. Arrange the rest on a slotted pan or rack-lined baking sheet and bake bacon until crisp; chop into generous bacon bits.
In a saucepot, heat stock or water, milk, a teaspoon of salt and grits, and bring to a boil. Whisk and reduce heat to a low, rolling simmer. Cook 20 minutes for regular grits, 5-7 minutes for quick cooking grits, covered, at a simmer, whisking occasionally.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Add reserved chopped bacon and render 2 minutes. Add shrimp and season with salt, pepper, cumin and thyme. Cook 2-3 minutes then add jalapeño, celery, scallions and garlic. Toss 2-3 minutes to soften then 2-3 minutes more until shrimp are pink and opaque. Douse pan with beer and hot sauce; toss with butter to emulsify.
Stir bacon bits into grits and ladle into shallow bowls. Top with a fried egg, some shrimp and serve.
You'll also love
- Warm Lentil and Root Vegetable... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Tarragon-Scented Chicken Tetrazzini 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Pork Shumai Meatballs 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Pork Brine 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Easy Salmon with Lemon and Capers 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Seafood Chowder 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion,... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Soba Noodles with Shrimp, Snow... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)