About 100 calories in 5 of these things.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (preferably whole grain)
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Adapted from today.com
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute then remove and immerse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well (I typically use a paper towel to dry them).
3. Chop the broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the egg, onions, cheddar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add the breadcrumbs last – and combine everything. Place in fridge for about 15 minutes to firm up the mixture a bit (this will make it easier to work with). Using your hands, scoop up small portions of the mixture (about 1-2 tablespoons), form into tater tot shapes and place them on the baking sheet.
4. Mist the tops with oil spray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip them over, mist tops, and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the outsides are golden brown and crispy.