Cauliflower Parmesan - NY Times
- 2 cups panko or plain unseasoned bread crumbs, toasted
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 2-inch florets
- 4 cups tomato sauce (bottled is fine)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, removed from casing, crumbled and browned well.
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Roast cauliflower, lightly coated with olive oil, for 25-30 min. until golden. with panko. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
2. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle one-third of the Parmesan over sauce. Scatter half cauliflower mixture and sausage, if using,over the Parmesan, 1/3 of toasted panko and top with half the mozzarella pieces. Top with half the remaining sauce, sprinkle with another third of the Parmesan, panko and and repeat layering, ending with a final layer of sauce and Parmesan and panko.
3.Transfer pan to oven and bake until cheese is golden and casserole is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.