Caramel Apple Crisp
- For the Easy Caramel Sauce (makes 1 cup):
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled then thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons + 1/4 cup gluten-free flour baking blend, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup certified gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped Fisher Nuts Pecans
- dash of salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- dash of salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
1. For the Easy Caramel Sauce: Combine all ingredients except vanilla in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir slowly until caramel has thickened, 8-10 minutes, then add vanilla and stir until thickened again, 1 more minute. Remove from heat then let cool slightly. Can be done ahead of time - cool caramel sauce slightly then pour into a mason jar using a funnel and store in the refrigerator. Warm for 30 seconds in the microwave before using.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees then spray a medium-sized baking dish (like 8x8" or 10x7") with nonstick spray. Add apple slices to a large bowl then toss with cinnamon and 4 teaspoons flour until well coated. Transfer to prepared baking dish then drizzle 1/2 cup Easy Caramel Sauce on top.
3. Combine oats, brown sugar, chopped pecans, remaining 1/4 cup flour, salt, and butter in the bowl then use your fingers to combine mixture until crumbly. Top caramel apples with crisp then bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender and caramel is bubbly.
NOTE: If crisp topping begins to brown before apples are tender, gently place a piece of foil on top and continue baking.
4. Allow Caramel Apple Crisp to cool for 20 minutes-1 hour before scooping into bowls then topping with reserved Easy Caramel Sauce.